Saturday, February 16, 2008

Sourdough Starter

4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4 1/2 cups of water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Boil potatoes in water until potatoes are tender. Drain liquid and put 1 1/4 of potatoe water into a large glass container (bowl, Mason Jar, or a glass canister. Add flour, sugar, and salt, stir lightly with a plastic spoon only. Some metal utensils can react with the starter and kill off your yeast. Cover container with a cloth such as a cheese cloth or a kitchen towel. Let starter sit in a warm place for 4 days. If you starter is bubbly and spongy looking you have starter. If it is not bubbling yet what another day and check again. Mine took a week.

Feed starter every week with a half cup of water and a half cup of four. Store your starter in a plastic container in the fridge. Sometimes I use pineapple juice instead of water when I am planning to make a sweet bread with my starter. If your starter seems inactive and does not give a good rise when baking you can add a package of yeast when you feed it. Just to give it a little boost.

I always sponge my starter before I cook with it, just to give my starter alittle more strength. To proof pour all of your starter into a glass bowl, add a cup of four and a cup of water. Stir well with plastic spoon and leave in the oven over night. I set my oven on warm for a couple of minutes. Just to give my starter a nice warm, moist womb to proof in. First test the oven, when you place your hand on the side wall and it is too hot to touch then it is too hot for your starter. Let it cool a bit and check again. When your starter is frothy and bubbly and it smells a little sour, it is ready. Get you bake on.

0 comments: