Friday, February 15, 2008

Nic's Chili

I use a lot of spices and different kinds of meat combinations plus I also do something different each time I make it. It took a while but I think I have it figured out. I've cooked it in a crock pot, on the stove, and in the oven. Next I want to try it in a smoker to give it that smoky flavor.

4 dried ancho peppers
1 dried chipotle pepper
1 dried large habanero pepper
cut two slits into each pepper and boil for 30 minutes in four cups of water. When done peel peppers, discard peal and mince the flesh and save the water for your chili.

2 lbs of lean meat. It can be hamburger, stew beef, cut up roast or a deer ham. One thing about cooking with deer you need to know how it died. If it was a good clean kill the meat should be okay. If the deer was ran by dogs or the first shot was not the killing shot the meat will have a stronger gamer taste, tougher meat and sometimes that make a chili bitter. I don't know why it just does. When I use deer meat I also add one pound of spicey ground pork sausage.

2 medium sized onions chopped
1 large bell pepper chopped
1-2 cloves of minced garlic
1 can of chili seasoned (chili ready) diced tomatoes
4 tbsp of mexican chili powder
3 tbsp cummin
2 tbsp dried cilantro
2 tbsp paprika
2 bay leaves
2 tbs oregano
1 tbsp sugar
A few shakes of Morton's Nature's seasons. I put that stuff on everything.

Throw all of these into a crockpot, give it a really good stir and let sit on high for 4 hrs or low for 6-8 hrs. Make sure you stir it every hour so it does not stick and burn on the sides of the crock pot. Now there is problem I run into often when I make chili. The spices give it a bitter taste; come to find out I was not using good high quality fresh spices. If you think it is too bitter for you dial down some of the paprika and chili powder. About an hour before you serve dish a little chili out for you to taste and to see if there is anything else you would like to add or if you want it to cook longer. My dad said once that chili needs to be ripe not green so let it cook longer if it needs.

My add ins. These are the things I like to add in if I feel like it and if they are on hand. Canned green chillies, salsa instead of canned tomatoes, some hot sauce and I also throw in a few good shakes of garlic powder and onion powder. Its one of my things. Also I have noticed my chili taste better the next day when I rewarm it. I don't know why it just does. You could also sauté the onions and bell pepper until the onions start to carmalize it gives it a little more flavor. Also instead of using water when boiling your peppers you could use chicken broth.

0 comments: